I recently stumbled upon a special ceremony for pregnant mamas called a Blessingway or "mother's blessing". The ritual ceremony is rooted in Navajo, Christian, and even Scottish tradition. It is a special celebration wherein friends of the mama surround her, pamper her, offer words of peace, grace, and strength, and support her as she prepares to bring a new life into the world.
Some common rituals in a blessingway include consecration, prayers, bead ceremonies, releasing of fears, honoring, pampering and adorning the mother, henna (SQUEAL!), storytelling, blessings and wishes.
If it sounds like totally wacky hippie stuff, that's because it is. And it's awesome! (It's actually not that crazy- unless you think consecrating with oil, smudging with ashes, burning of incense, etc. is crazy)
Blessingways are an alternative to the normal, often highly consumerist tradition of baby showers. They are potentially more meaningful and focus more on the mother and upcoming act of birthing a new life.
In keeping with the preparations to have a med-free birth I am extremely excited about having such an amazing, life-giving ceremony. It's all about empowerment, trusting in my body to do what it was created to do, and releasing the fears that I may have about the upcoming birth. Being surrounded, supported and blessed by my dearest friends is, in my opinion, a great way to do that.
Anyone else ever have/been to a Blessingway? I am so excited about having one, I can hardly wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment