08 July 2011

Pregnancy: 21 weeks

We're scooting right along in this pregnancy.  I'm really trying to enjoy it- a pretty easy thing to do when 1) it's my last pregnancy and 2) it's been pretty easy so far.  So, when the not-so-fun aspects of pregnancy (my insane restless leg syndrome and consequent insomnia, for one) rear their ugly heads, I jump right on it and try to TREAT TREAT TREAT so I can get back to the enjoying.


Which is what led to this particular tweet last night:


 I mean, honestly- who sleeps with a BAR OF SOAP under her bedsheet?  This girl.  Why?  Because people swear up and down on the interwebs that it is an effective remedy against the twitchy, spasmy, crawling feeling in their legs that keeps them awake at night.


One of my midwives had recommended this trace mineral supplement that I was really excited about... until I looked at the ingredients:


Bovine orchic cytosol extract, magnesium citrate, manganese lactate, bovine liver, porcine stomach, soybean, bovine spleen, ovine splee, para-aminobenzoate, defatted wheat germ, porcine brain, and ascorbic acid.


Let me break that down for you: It contains cow liver, pig stomach, cow spleen, sheep spleen, and pig brain.  Oh, and that first ingredient?  That is an extract from cow testes.  Yup.  I don't think you have to be a vegetarian to be completely grossed out by that.  All I could think was MAD COW DISEASE!  MAD COW DISEASE!  (Apparently those ingredients are "safe" according the FDA.  Still- no thank you.)  Feeling defeated, I hoped there was another way that didn't involve ground-up farm animal parts.  If I wanted to eat that, I'd have a hot dog.  HEYO!  (Sorry, inappropriate vegetarian wit ;-P)


Anyway, at my last appointment my head midwife recommended taking a liquid cal-mag supplement, which from what I have read online might take a week or two to fully kick in and prevent the symtpoms.  So that, in combination with the epsom salt bath, soap bar, and cup of chamomile tea, certainly did the trick last night!  What a relief!

We're starting to pick up the pace with projects around the house.  I've been shopping for some upholstery fabric to re-cover the dining room chairs and we purchased the supplies to start stripping and repainting the dining room furniture.  Our dear friends are giving us their queen-sized headboard which we'll also be re-covering and tufting.  We bought a few new light fixtures to update our very 70's-era ones. Paint chips are being considered for the living room walls, and we purchased a new chair to finish off that space.

I'm on the lookout for some great fabric for the boys' bedding and can't wait to get their new beds!  We'd like to move Owen to a big bed sometime soon- definitely before November.  He's been gracious enough to offer some of his own decorating ideas.  What a great helper!

We're also planning some vacation time before the baby comes.  A trip to the coast, a weekend in Seattle, and an adventure in Central Oregon with the Djupes.  We're so overwhelmed with all of the things to see and do in this gigantic and dynamic state- we feel like we could explore forever and still not see all of it.  Hopefully we'll scratch the surface this summer, though.  Hooray for Babymoon 2K11!

Speaking of baby (ha, why yes this is a "pregnancy" post) he is 10.5-11 inches long (supposedly the length of a carrot) and is 12-15 ounces.  Baby Tiny was not so "tiny" at the ultrasound- he measured about 11 days ahead of his "due date" so he's likely on the larger end of that range.  He is also quite the ninja!  Kicks and jabs have been visible from the outside for a few weeks now which never fails to surprise me.  I'll even catch my belly moving from out of the corner of my eye.  Super-active baby here!

Kraig and I are feeling really excited about Baby2 lately.  We are SO looking forward to 4 months from now when we are meeting our new little man.  I'm so excited for labor and delivery (can you tell I've been reading BOOKS and BOOKS full of super-inspiring, positive birth stories?) that I simply can. not. wait for November!  This is such a change from the nervousness and apprehension about the unknowns of childbirth and the what-it-might-be-likes of parenthood as we prepared for Owen.  We feel much more prepared and confident this time.  I'm glad we're both so excited :-)

21 weeks down, 19-ish to go!


No comments: