02 April 2012

Buesch Railways


Throwing parties is so fun for us.  We love to host and entertain people. We go all out for birthdays and special occasions because that is how we express love.  And boy, did we go all out this year!  We had such a fun party!  

Owen chose the theme which, of course, was Thomas the Train.  No surprise there!  As usual, we avoided going a purely licensed route (because in my opinion it is tacky more often than not) and opted for little touches of Thomas while playing up a modern train theme.  I think it turned out just perfectly.  I had an Etsy artist design the invitations, and I couldn't have been more pleased with how they looked.

We had a couple of Thomas games for the kids- a pull-string piñata and a "Pin the Smokestack on Thomas" game.  They were a big hit!  (and those were the only THOMAS things).

Papa Gordon is absolutely magnetic to the kids.  We love him so!

Getting the mask on.

Spinning and ready to pin!

Peeking.  Hey, he doesn't understand the rules :-)

Getting a little help from dad- er, I mean, Conductor Kraig.

Watching the other kids.  They all did so well!


Finding just the right string to pull.
 Only a few kids got a chance at the piñata before the right string was pulled.  I don't think the others cared that they didn't get a try because- CANDY!!!!!!!!



Owen picked out the cupcake flavors- meyer lemon with blueberries, and chocolate with strawberries.

Good choice, my boy.  Good choice.


He was excited for all of his presents!  He has some generous friends!  He got really great games, puzzles, books, gift cards, and learning activities.  He is a lucky boy!



The other parts of the party that weren't captured here consisted of kids chasing each other in circles around the room incessantly, and eating lots of food.  Yum!

So, here are the details.

We didn't buy much for the party.  We like to throw nice parties but we also work with a budget.  I think the keys to doing that are making sure everything coordinates (even the tortilla chips were blue and white), a lot of DIY decor, and making as much of the food as possible.

We bought some balloons, tableware (tablecloth, napkins, plates, cups & we had some compostable plates and flatware from a previous party) and the piñata and games.  We also bought party favors for the kids- train whistles, conductor hats, and bandanas.  We got those things for a good price on Amazon (always shop around!)


My handsome conductors!

 We made the freight cars for the food.  It was a very nice touch, if you ask me :-) But it was so simple to make.  We bought the basket liners, and once we placed those around and under things, it really gave the table a finished look.


I made the pennant banner out of card stock, as well as the cupcake toppers.   And of course, I made the salsa, guacamole, cupcakes, ranch dressing, sandwiches, and the crudite'.  We bought the drinks, of course.

That's it.  Easy!  I think it looks like more work than it really was.








Unfortunately, I forgot to charge our camera so after I took these photos pre-party our battery died (OOPS).  We are infinitely grateful to our neighbors for bringing their camera and tripod to capture photos of the action during the party, as well as some videos.  Precious memories, indeed.  And we are SO grateful to Donna and Gordon for letting us borrow their van, for coming to the party early to help us set up and staying late to help us tear down.  They are truly the best, and we are blessed beyond belief to have such supportive, reliable, and wonderful neighbors.  It made the day go a lot more smoothly :-)


No comments: